Trash: Tuesday and Friday
Pick-up Time: 6:00 am or later. We highly recommend using sturdy black bags or trash bins and putting trash out the morning of pick-up to prevent raccoons and other animals breaking into bags and spreading trash. We understand, however, that it is not always an option, so if you must put your trash out the preceding night, please do so after dark for community appearance and as courtesy to those walking the neighborhood.
Trash bins must be brought in before the end of the day on the day of pick-up. Empty bins should not be left out overnight.
YARD WASTE UPDATE: As of April 19, 2021, yard waste in plastic bags will NOT be accepted by our trash service. All yard waste, including but not limited to grass clippings, leaves, straw, brush, branches, vines, and flowers must be put in paper yard waste bags.
Yard waste does not include materials generated during tree removal, land clearing, or home renovation projects such as tree stumps, lumber treated wood, pallets, sawdust, dirt, mulch, sod, or food waste. Paper yard waste bags are available online and in grocery, discount, hardware, and garden stores.
Glass Recycling: As of October 1, 2019, Fairfax County no longer accepts glass bottles and jars in the curbside recycling program. Residents should reuse glass containers or bring them to purple, glass-only recycling containers located throughout the region. If this is not possible, glass should be placed in the trash. The closest purple, glass-only recycling container is located just off Stevenson Avenue at Tower Court and South Whiting Street by the Alley Cat Restaurant.
Recycling Acceptable Items
- Aluminum cans and Beverage Containers
- Ferrous and Bimetal Food and Beverage Containers
- Tin and steel cans
- All Narrow‐neck Plastic Container (other than for motor oil) which carry plastic Resin codes 1‐7
- Aerosol Cans (empty)
- Aluminum foil and Aluminum Pie Pans
- Plastic bottles and jugs
- Wide‐mouth plastic containers such as peanut butter, yogurt, margarine/butter tubs, cottage cheese, sour cream, whipped topping, and mayonnaise
- Rigid Plastics which include plastic milk/soda crates, plastic buckets with metal handles, plastic laundry baskets, plastic lawn furniture, plastic totes, plastic drums, plastic coolers, plastic flower pots, plastic drinking cups/glasses, plastic 5‐gallon water bottles, plastic pallets, plastic toys and empty plastic garbage and recycling bins.
- NEVER put in your recycling bin bags, phones, diapers, food, foam, clothes, cables/lights, wrappers.
- Always put in your recycling bin Rigid Containers, Cans, Cardboard & paper.
- Brown paper bags
- Cardboard and corrugated boxes
- Catalogs, magazines, and phone books
- Chipboard/paperboard (cereal boxes, shoe boxes, frozen food packaging paper & toilet paper towel rolls, tissues boxes without plastic, and soda can boxes, etc.)
- Office Paper, including Colored, Computer, fax, copy and letterhead, White ledger paper and Envelopes
- Newspapers and junk mail
- Books (including paperbacks, textbooks, and hardbacks)
- Non‐Metallic wrapping paper
- Aseptic/Gable‐Top Milk and Juice Cartons
Trash Removal Restrictions
Due to landfill regulations the following items will NOT be collected by Republic Services Recycling and Trash Removal Services: dead rodents, oil, paint, stains, or other liquids, batteries, construction or remodeling material, manure, tree stumps, mulch, sod, dirt, stone, rocks, cement, bricks, poisons, dangerous acids, caustics, explosives or other dangerous material or items too large or heavy to be loaded in collection vehicles safely by the refuse collectors.